To apply, submit an application online to the Graduate School. This application requires:
- official Graduate Record Examination scores;
- transcripts of all previous academic work, including the MA or MFA;
- contact information for three individuals who will transmit letters of recommendation online;
- at least two samples of completed research (MA thesis, research papers, articles, etc.);
- a statement of research interests for scholarly study in theatre or performance studies; and
- a resume or statement detailing your experience in one or more areas of theatre or media practice.
Please do not send any paper application materials, transcripts, test scores, or letters of recommendation directly to the department. The statement of purpose and the writing samples can be added to the application when you create it or emailed to the Graduate Coordinator.
Applications received by February 1 can be considered for all possible funding opportunities.
The PhD program admits up to four new students per year with a departmental assistantship for at least four years, including a tuition waiver and a stipend with a work commitment. Applications are considered until all Graduate Assistant positions are filled. Students seeking additional financial assistance should consult the Graduate School website for information on the Dissertation Completion Award, the Dean’s Research Award, the Jo Ann Terry Walker Scholarship, and other potential funding opportunities.
To also be considered for the Graduate School Interdisciplinary Arts Research Assistantship, include a one-page statement that describes your current research interests and any previous experiences in interdisciplinary or collaborative environments. For more information, see the Graduate Assistantships area of the Ideas for Creative Exploration website.